Family: What matters most, lasts the longest.









Tuesday, August 14, 2012

FINALLY...

Now that I have "officially" graduated (once my final grades get posted) I feel like I can finally blog about it. I know that seems silly, but I didn't want to post anything until I survived this last semester. It hasn't actually hit me yet that I'm done for this period of my life. I mean, come on, I've been in school basically 95% of my entire life. I say that i've been in college since 2006, meaning 6 years, but really, I took 2 years off after having Kyler, so I have only been in school 4 years. But did I mention that for the past 2 I have taken classes EVERY semester meaning that I didn't get  a summer break or any other break for that matter. School has just been a huge part of my life. It feels weird not to be thinking about homework, assignments, tests or discussion boards. BUT...

on a positive note: I FEEL SO ACCOMPLISHED! I remember writing a post a while back about the difficulties I was having with other people's opinions of me being a working mom in school. I got ALOT of criticism about me not fulfilling my true calling as a mother. You can see that post here. Anyway, bottom line is: I wouldn't trade my personal feeling of accomplishment for anything. I am glad I chose to finish my degree even though it was harder, after, before and during having children. I am GRATEFUL to a wonderful, amazing husband who understood my need to accomplish this goal and for his amazing supportive role he played in this whole process. I had a few people that were so supportive, they truly made it possible for me to finish.

It was fun to "walk" with my husband at graduation although he walked with his Associates (in which he finished a year earlier) and I walked with my Bachelors (in which I still had one semester left). And I must say, there is something about a guy in a graduation cap and gown :) Usually they aren't flattering, but come on... HE LOOKED GOOD!

This whole process had made me really value higher education and the value of hard work, goal setting and prioritizing. Many of you know that I have a strong conviction of women getting a higher education (for multiple reasons) and my conviction has even grown stronger in that aspect. I have only ever done one harder thing in my life than this, not necessarily that all the school aspects were hard, but the balancing of everything was very difficult. I'm proud to say I did it!

As silly as it is, I'm so stinkin proud of that little paper that will soon be coming in the mail!

I'm grateful for wonderful classmates in whom have become some of my best friends outside of school as well.

I had many great and wonderful opportunities that most students don't get to experience.

I met some amazing and wonderful professors that I sincerely hold dear to my heart. I love them for everything they did for me, truly and sincerely. 

My parents have been so amazing and encouraging through this whole process. My mom never failed to tell me she was so proud of me. She truly pushed me to finish. Thanks mom!

Anyway, I know those are random thoughts, but right now, that's what's going through my mind. And yes, I brag a little, but I can, it's my blog :)

Funny story about graduation:

I received the "Outstanding Undergraduate Student of the Year" award, in which I felt completely unprepared and humble for. But anyway, it was this whole shindig thing about it, luncheon, pic in paper, etc. At the actual graduation, I was recognized, stood up and read a little thing about me and my accomplishments. Dead silent except for the Dean reading the info. All of a sudden "Who's Your Daddy" starts blaring from my phone. Most embarrassing moment. Everyone around me was laughing and I'm pretty sure I turned bright red. But... I will definitely remember that moment :)

Enough writing, here's some pics of graduation (although I need to teach my bro in law how to use my camera, cause he didnt' get hardly any good ones) AND Blogger was taking FOREVER to upload, so only 2 for now! :)



No comments:

Background