Family: What matters most, lasts the longest.









Thursday, October 13, 2011

Defensive



I will admit, I am a bit defensive at the moment and let me explain why.... I recently heard some comments about my decision to be in school full time while having 2 small children. I was told my decision was "selfish" and that I was neglecting my duties as a wife and mother. This really upset me. First of all, let me say that this decision was not a quick decision, but rather thoughtfully and prayerfully decided. It was not an easy decision, but extremely hard, and nonetheless.... it is our decision.


I have alot of thoughts about this and it has been on my mind quite a lot recently. Here are a few of my thoughts...


I set a goal to get a Bachelor's Degree when I was in high school. It is something I want for myself. I want my children to know that I set a goal and have done everything possible to obtain that goal. I want them to know that I didn't quit when it got hard and inconvenient. I want them to know that they can obtain their goals if they put forth alot of hard work and dedication. There will trials and people that will discourage it, but it is worth it!


I focus on QUALITY time with my family, not QUANTITY time. Yes, I would love to be able to spend more time with my family, but I feel like the opposing time spent is spent on something worthwhile and profitable.


I value higher education. I think it is important, especially in our society, for a woman to have some sort of higher education. Doesn't mean it has to be a degree or a certificate, but something. I know that not everyone feels this way and that is OK. I have no problem with people who choose to disagree with me. This is my opinion.


This decision makes me feel good about myself. It makes me feel proud that I have stuck with it and that I am doing something worthwhile. I want my family, especially my children to be proud of me.


I want to be involved in my children's life... especially when they are older and involved in extracirricular activities. I will support them. I would rather be away now than later.


As far as neglecting my duties as a wife and mother... I try my best not to. Sometimes it means staying up well past midnight, other times it means not watching a popular TV show. But that is ok. I am willing to make those personal sacrifices.


I strongly believe that I am bettering the future of our family, especially my children, by obtaining a degree. It may not be the piece of paper in the end, but the lessons I learn along the way. I have chosen a field that is dedicated towards helping families and individuals. I have learned SO much about people in general and I feel this has made me be a better communicator, wife and mother. It can only progress towards the future.


Basically, I am HAPPY with this decision. It definitely gets hard and challenging at times, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I value the opinions of others, but I also recognize that opinions differ, and that is ok. What I want is for my opinion to be valued as well. You may not agree with our decision, but please do your best to support and understand our decision. As the saying goes, "Agree to disagree". On a motivational note: I WILL GET THAT DEGREE! And the end is in sight... only 9 more months and I will be completely done! :)


I do want to say a huge THANK YOU to those who do support me and who have helped me with babysitting, homework and encouraging words. I do have a great support system and I value you people!

2 comments:

jcook said...

AMEN!!! It drives me nuts when people do not see me getting a degree as important. Even if I never use what I have learned outside of our home, I have become a better person and I have set a standard for my own daughter to follow!

Zeke, Hillary, Koriann said...

I think what you are doing is very admirable, I just wish I had the motivation to finish my degree. Besides I agree it's better when they are little than older, if you have to be away from them.

Background