Now that I'm close to finishing my degree in FCHD (FINALLY-singing praises to the heavens!) I have a lot of people that ask me the most famous questions of "What do you plan to do after you graduate?" or "What are you going to DO with your degree?" And the answer is simple: I don't know. Right now, I'm excited and thrilled to be able to be a stay at home mom. But I have been thinking about this a lot recently and it made me re-trace my steps to where I am now as far as my schooling has gone:
Younger years: Always looking for a business deal. Sold everything and everything my parents would allow me to (and sometimes not allow me to) from slushies and lemonade to beady buddies and My Little Pony's.
High School: Graduated with honors, Business sterling scholar, extremely involved in state programs (GYC, Utah Phoenix Alliance, etc) and full of high ambitions. Bound and determined to be a successful, business-woman, ready to change the world!
Snow College: Start in Business, after a few semesters, decide I really don't LOVE it even though I have always been geared towards the business world. So we change to a field have grown to love: Communications. Here I start in Broadcast Journalism although Snow doesn't have a television station, I was highly involved in the Kage (radio station) where I was a DJ and sports/news broadcaster. I loved it! But still didn't LOVE LOVE, if that makes sense. It was my career choice that felt "off". So... we tried again. This time just switching a tiny bit to: Public Relations. I thought I would love this field and would make a great career out of it. By this point, it was time to graduate, so graduate I did. After a few moves, we ended up at....
Utah State (Roosevelt): They don't have a PR Bachelor's degree offered here so I decide to TRY Elementary Education (although NEVER thought I would do that) after I worked at the local elementary school and really enjoyed it. Still felt "off". An academic advisor suggested I try a class in FCHD (in which I knew nothing about and never really heard of) so I decide out of pure desperation to try it. I was hooked. Shirlene Law got me hooked on FCHD. So I switch majors after just one class and have stuck with it. But my emphasis, has changed quite a bit. First, I thought finance sounded good due to my business background. Then remember I did LOVE it. So I try to take the easiest or less time consuming route of: early childhood. Still didn't feel right. Finally, I switched to Family and Community Services. Here is where I remain and will graduate this summer.
I think about how I got to this point and what the significance is. I don't ever regret trying different majors until finding the one that fits me best. I fully believe the Lord has a way of putting things into our lives we may not see without His influence. I feel like this major has made me a better wife and mother. Deric and I have actually talked about this a lot recently and he will say that my degree has helped him be a better father too. I never realized the effects my decisions would really have on him (to an extent).
So back to the first question(s). I use my schooling in my every day life. I have chosen a field where I learn how to better my home, my family relations, etc. I will use my degree EVERY single day of my life. So will I do nothing with it? I don't see it that way. I do EVERYTHING with it. And let me say.. it's been a hard long road to get to this point and I'm not quite finished, but I sure am glad I've had this journey but that the schooling aspect, the tests, the classes, the observations, are all close to an end. I can see the finish line and i'm almost there!




No comments:
Post a Comment