Family: What matters most, lasts the longest.









Thursday, November 15, 2012

Halloween

I LOVE holidays-especially since I have kids! :) I think the innocence and joy that children bring to holidays is so fun! anyway, I brought the halloween costume tote out like a month in advance and my boys LOVED playing dress up with all the costumes...but Kyler just couldn't decide which one he wanted to be, until I found a Woody from Toy Story costume on line and then he was hooked... only problem was... so was Bryson. So, they fought over the costume EVERY day so I had to put it away until the actual Halloween day. I even bought a Buzz Lightyear costume to try and convince Kyler to be Buzz (bigger size) and Brys to be Woody but it didn't work. So we ended up with a dinosaur and Woody.

Kyler had a blast at his preschool party and I learned a big lesson in being a mom: sometimes you just can't control things and sometimes we miss our kids' activities-even when we don't want to. See, I drop Kyler off and he was SO thrilled and excited for his special day and to show all his friends his costume. When I go to pick him up (mind you I'm 5 minutes early) ALL the other moms/parents are there. I ask one of my friends if I'm late and she informs me that they had a parent halloween party/parade at the end of the day. I find Kyler and low and behold he is bawling... because I'm the ONLY mom that wasn't there! (Oh so dramatic for a 3 year old) But what he doesn't quite understand is that I didn't know a thing about it. we had missed the previous day of preschool because we went to Holden, so I didn't get the memo. He was sad he didn't get to hand out candy to all his friends and that his mom didnt get to see the parade. Ya, I pretty much bawled my eyes out too... and called my mom and Deric and bawled to them to. I felt horrible. I kept blaming myself even though I knew it was something that was out of my control-I simply wasn't informed about it. And I vowed that I will do my best to participate in anything and everything I can with my children's lives for the rest of my life.




The next day (actual Halloween) I hosted play group at my house and since it was a holiday... I wanted to make it something special. So we made "monster boogers" aka Gak which the boys decided to call Frankenstein boogers (gross I know) but they LOVED it and had such a fun time playing with it. We did some orange rice krispies and got to make our own creations and then they just played. It's so good that my boys have other children to play with on a regular basis. 

But.. the boys loved the ward trunk or treat. I stayed in the car and handed out candy while Deric walked them around. I was hurting and contracting like crazy so I was trying to take it easy and then we left to take them to a few houses (grandma and grandpa, etc). I was pretty sure I was about to die. So we came home, Grandma and Grandpa Winterton actually came trick or treating to our house and gave the boys candy. Kyler was so upset that that's not how it's supposed to go. Oh silly boy. We were all pretty wiped out by then, so we went to bed. And... Deric and I debated going to the hospital. My contractions were about 6-7 minutes apart and coming strong and the medication wasn't helping. Luckily priesthood power did the trick! Oh how grateful I am for the power of the priesthood!!

1 comment:

Rio said...

Haha that's still funny to me that our kids were the same things for Halloween! Your kids are very cute! I love that dino costume :)

Background