Ryker Seth Winterton was born on January 21st, 2013 at 2:34 p.m. at Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt, Utah. He weighed in at 8 lbs 10 oz and 19 1/2 inches long-not too shabby considering he came almost 3 weeks early! His due date was February 6th.
We came up with his name because it was the ONLY name that we could both agree upon. (as far as first names go). I had told Deric he got "almost full reign" over choosing the name because I basically chose Bryson's and didn't give Deric much of a choice. He decided on "Ryker" months ago. The middle name was a different story. We have always felt like middle names should mean something and be named after someone we truly love and cherish and that holds influence in our lives-as compared to just a "cute" name that we like. So when we were thinking of people we MIGHT want to name our third and possibly last child after, we thought of a lot of people, but it was pretty clear to both of us early on who we strongly felt we should name our child after. Ryker is named after one of Deric's favorite people in the world and someone that has strongly influenced him (and us) for the better. We both truly love and really look up to this person-in so many ways. Deric met Seth Rogerson while on his mission and has remained in close contact with him and his beautiful family ever since. We feel extremely priviledged that Seth would allow us to name our son after him and hope that we can teach Ryker to live up to his namesake.
. I will post some pictures although honestly, I had Deric bring the camera and I TOLD him to grab batteries, but he forgot. Anyway, if you want to read the labor story-go ahead, if not, you better stop reading now! :)
LABOR STORY:
I'm going to start a little before because I really want to remember the most about this experience and want to really document it. As everyone knows, we've had a long and rough pregnancy which included some heavy bedrest. We kept getting told we wouldn't make it to a certain point and then we would, then we got told another date and we would make it to there, etc. Well, when we finally hit 35 weeks and were "safe" to deliver here in Roosevelt, we decided we were not going to stress the whole major bedrest part and life became a little bit easier because I was able to do a few more things-although still taking it easy. Well on Saturday, Jan. 19th, Deric was getting pretty anxious for Ryker to come so he convinced me to go take a "bumpy" drive to try and give me some strong contractions. The Dr had told us that I was at the point, if I started having contractions, to go in and they would just start me. Well the drive didn't work.
Sunday Jan. 20th, I convinved Deric that it would be ok if he didn't come for a few days-after all we weren't quite ready yet, in so many ways. So I spent the day, going to all 3 meetings of church (which hasn't happened in a LONG time), playing with my boys, dancing and running around with them, etc. In fact we were dancing to the famous "Bunny Hop" (Kyler's favorite) and Kyler asked me why I wasn't hopping. I told him that if I hopped, I might pop Ryker out. He thought that was pretty funny. Plus my ankles and calves were starting to really retain water.
Monday Jan. 21st (Martin Luther King Day) 9:00 a.m. I dropped the boys off at my cousin Angela's house and informed her I should be back within the hour. She told me she would be surprised if they didn't keep me. I didn't believer her one bit (although a little hopeful she was right) but I check in to my appointment and started to wait. When I got called back, on my way to give my urine sample, I ran into my Dr and he asked me if I was surviving. I told him "let's just go have a baby today" he laughed and told me that was a request of quite a few women that day. Anyway, at my appointment, the first warning sign was that I had gained 10 lbs from the previous week. 10 lbs. I couldn't believe it. Then we found out my blood pressure we high. Not scary high but getting there. When he went to check how far dilated I was he asked me if I was having contractions. I had been having them, but nothing too terrible or consistent, in fact, I felt like they had slowed down quite a bit. But low and behold- I was dilated to a 5 and fully effaced. He told me he wanted me to go get monitored for a bit and if I was having contractions, we would be having a baby that day but if not, to come back Thursday and most likely then because of my bp. I made the necessary calls to take care of the older boys and I checked in to OB (9:45)-still positive I wouldn't be staying-considering I hadn't had many contractions.
Around 10:30 ish the nurst came in and asked if I was in a lot of pain. I told her not really and was kind of wondering why. But apparently I was having 3-4 contractions every 10 minutes and they were getting stronger. She called Dr Williams and he wanted me to stay. I decided this would probably be a good time to call Deric. The nurse said he would come break my water on his lunch.
About 12:15 Dr Williams came and broke my water. His PA was there and the look on his face was SO funny. Apparently I had ALOT of fluid since it literally made a whoosh sound like a pipe had burst. Once he broke my water-then I started to really feel contractions. We decided to invite Deric's sister Aisha to be there when he was delivered but she would have to drive over from Vernal, she was begging me to hold off until 3 when she could be there.
Deric made it from work and was still doing work on his computer while I was laboring. After about 20 minutes, I made him quit and I asked the nurse when I could get my epidural. I was dying. The contractions were SO strong and SO close. We told her that I usually go really fast after my water is broke but she didn't really believe us. But, she "hurried" and got the guy there and I was dilated to a 6. They get me sitting up and we start the epidural process (which is just plain uncomfortable and near impossible for the amount of pain you're in) but he gets it in and realizes he hit a vein and it wasn't going to work. I was kind of freaking out because of how much pain I was in but I had an AMAZING nurse that really helped me. But as he is starting to tell me how he has to re-do it basically, all of a sudden I felt like I had to push. The nurse didn't really believe me because it had only been about 10 minutes since she checked me and I was at a 6. But I wouldn't let it go and she checked me-low and behold, he was RIGHT there. The anthestesiologist was able to put in 10 CC of something which he basically explained is the equilavlent of a little ibuprofen and would take 15 min to kick in. Luckily Dr. Williams was checking on a patient next door and was able to run in to deliver Ryker who was born just a few min and a few hard and freaking painful pushes later.
I didn't have time for the medicine to kick in and he was turning (like rotatating) when he was coming out. He also came out peeing. The Dr and nurses all guessed he was close to weighing 9 lbs. He was a big, healthy, loud baby! When they placed him on me, he was still peeing everywhere but was such a sweet, chunky baby! :) They wiped him off and gave him to Deric and he spent most of the day in our room with us. They FINALLY came to weigh him (after like 4 diaper changes) about 3 hrs after he was born and thats when he weighed in at 8 lbs 10 oz. Although I'm not convinced on the length-the nurse doing it didn't even know where the ruler was. ha ha but he is documented as being 19 1/2 inches long. I bled quite a bit after delivery and they had to give me a few bags of pitocin to try and stop it. I was feeling pretty good, just super shaky and freezing! Although while in labor I felt SO hot and like I was going to pass out. They put wet washclothes all over my body to try and cool me off. Doesn't help that I was hypervenalating and wasn't real "focused" during the labor.
Funny story: Dr Williams basically almost had to yell at me during labor because I was screaming and not pushing so bad. I am a screamer. ha ha I'm totally one of those women in the tv shows that screams like no other while in labor-you know the ones that really freak you out. Ya, that's me. Guess it was probably a good thing Aisha didn't make it in time for the delivery. haha I don't know what comes over me or why I am that way-it's only in labor and it just seems to be my natural way to cope with the pain.
Ryker was able to get his first bath at about 10 that evening. It was kind of nice-he looks way cuter when he is clean! :)
Kyler and Bryson were so excited and ready to see their new brother. They do a "birthday party" at the hospital where they get ice cream or cake or whatever is available. The boys thought this was pretty cool. Although they didn't understand why mommy was still hurting or why my belly was still big. In the words of Kyler " Mom, if Ryker is out, why is your stomach still so big?" and "why can't I climb on you if Ryker is out of your tummy?" haha oh kids. Anyway, I'll save the rest of the documenting for another day and will now post some pictures!
Ok and I literally just realized that these are seriously THE ONLY pictures we have of him from when he was born. Ya, we're awesome. Guess I better hurry and take some. I have some on my phone I will have to post later.




1 comment:
Way to go Leslie, it is quite the accomplishment to have a baby "natura!" And boy is he cute!!! Congratulations!!I hope you are all doing well, and adjusting nicely to being a family of 5:)
Post a Comment