Life has been pretty busy (hence the lack of posts). I got called to nursery the first part of December and I was really struggling with it. I won't lie, I have NEVER felt this way about a calling. I wasn't excited, wasn't happy about it and just felt like I wasn't supposed to be there. I know that sounds slightly silly and that it could possibly come across as not being willing to serve, but I was really concerned that I was feeling this way. So after lots of prayer, fasting and visiting with my bishop, I finally decided that I was going to make the best of it! Afterall, the Lord knows more than me and I was trying hard to put my faith and trust in Him. I was officially in nursery for 2 weeks (and finally getting excited about it and the changes that I wanted to make) when the bishopric visited my house once more. Deric and I were wondering "what in the world?" and I just kept thinking "am I really doing THAT bad of job?" anyway it was quite comical watching them try to explain what was about to happen. ha ha Long story short, I was then called to be the 1st counselor in the Young Women's Presidency. I WAS STOKED! I was so excited!! And then it hit me the following 2 weeks while it was kept "secret" as I was praying, fasting and counseling with the President as to whom we should call to assist us. This was going to be ALOT of work, ALOT of time, ALOT of effort and ALOT of mistakes, growth and learning. I felt completely inadequate to fulfill such a position. We got set apart the Sunday before Christmas and it has been a whirlwind of a month! I have already learned SO much! I'm so excited and honored to be in this calling. The girls are AMAZING! The other leaders are such special women and I truly feel like I am the one that's going to learn and grow the most. A few things I have already learned from YW:
-doesn't matter WHAT the activity is, as long as you make it personal, the girls love it
-a simple text to ask how someone is doing makes a world of difference
-the "Come Follow Me" program was designed for ME as a teacher as well as the youth. HOLY GROWTH! :) It requires a lot more studying, prayer and personal time than I have ever taken on a lesson.
-What the youth of today have to deal with sucks
-I'm not as young as I think I am
-I do have experiences that the girls can relate to
-I have never felt the spirit so strong in any meeting before
-It's ok to mess up (I have really botched some things lately) the girls are forgiving
-There's a lot of planning involved
-There are a lot of programs in YW. Girls camp, new beginnings, YW in excellence, etc
-I have a VERY supportive husband who has not once complained about my time away from home
-I truly feel that I am in this calling to help me grow and become closer to my Heavenly Father. I need to strengthen my roots as a daughter of God
-Life throws us curves, challenges and differences, how we chose to deal with them and the attitude we have truly affects those around us.
-I already love the girls in my ward like my own, even though I have known them a short time
-I am constantly praying for at least one of them and am ALWAYS thinking about them.
-I now feel like a mother of 23 :)
-And most importantly: I know my Heavenly Father hears me and answers my prayers. He knows my thoughts and feelings and LISTENS to me. He also ANSWERS me and I'm so grateful for his trust, love and encouragement that he gives to me.
Here's to lots of fun and growth ahead!




1 comment:
Leslie you'll do a great job! We as a stake are really excited for this change and know that the Lord knows what is best for the Young Women in 3rd Ward.
Post a Comment