On Saturday night around like 6 or so, Deric ran to the store to get some stuff for dinner and I was playing with Kyler. He tripped over the foot of our baby swing and fell. Nothing too big, not a huge fall, nothing of any real significance. Well he started crying and wanting Deric. I could not console him (which is really weird for him). I thought he was just throwing a tantrum cause he has done that more lately that he usually does. So I call Deric and he comes home. We check him over, can't see anything suspicious. Kyler tells us his hand "had a sliber" (sliver). Now let's mention that if there is ANYTHING on any body part or that it gets even bumped, it then has a sliver and has to have immediate attention. So this being the norm behavior for him, we didn't think anything of it. We give him some Ibuprofen just in case he did hurt something and we continue to try and console him. The only thing that remotely worked was going outside. Deric gave him a blessing but it didn't seem to calm him down much.
Saturday night he didn't sleep hardly at all-which left a cranky and tired kid and I think an even more cranky and tired mom.
Sunday we looked him over again-still couldn't see anything. When we go to church, we notice that he isn't using his left hand as much-he was still using it, just not as much as his right. So we thought maybe he just bruised or maybe sprained it since it wasn't swollen or anything. Then we go to Neola at Deric's parents house for dinner and Kyler was jumping on the tramp. He just stumbled and fell over(not off the tramp, just over) and he started crying hysterically again, this time, not moving his left arm hardly at all from his chest. Deric felt like we needed to take him in to the ER cause his arm was broken. It was a tiny bit swollen, but not much. I thought we could wait until Monday to avoid ER costs (isn't that horrible?) But I really didn't think it was broken.
Anyway, we take him in and as we were waiting, I touch it and it starts crying and whimpering-ok maybe his arm really is broken. Then the nurse comes and feels it-he doesn't even budge. No cries, no whimpers, nothing. Okay...maybe it's not broken. Then the doctor comes in and feels it and Kyler flinches...okay...maybe it's sprained? We get X-rays just to be sure and sure enough-he arm is most definitely broken! His forearm (radius) something like that is broken, but it's called a buckle break and should heal pretty fast. The doctor told us that this is the most common break in children and it's so hard to detect as a parent because at this young of age, they can't really tell us that much and he's getting to the "faking" stage. So he got a splint and a sling (which is so dumb for a 2 year old-like he keeps it on!) He is supposed to wear it 24 hours a day, but seriously, I can't keep it on him for more than 30 minutes! He wiggles his arm out of until he pushes it to his back. Plus we were worried with him sleeping with it, cause we didn't want him to get strangled or anything. So I'm following doctor's orders as much as possible with an almost 2 year old!






2 comments:
Welcome to being a mom isn't it great. Gibson broke his arm at about 4 mons. And then a sprained ankle at at 21 mons. Not sure what is coming next, but what can I expect with my crazy little guy!!!
Sorry! That would be scary! I just told Kevin that Kyler got a broken arm and he's like, "I know." He forgot to tell me apparently... I hope he feels better!!
Post a Comment