Family: What matters most, lasts the longest.









Tuesday, February 23, 2010

D&C Surgery

We went to meet with my doctor yesterday morning. My appointment was at 8:30. Get there, check in, find out my doctor doesn't come in until 9. It's 9:20 before he finally comes to see us. After talking with him, we feel even more reassured that this is right-the fact that we just lost our baby. It's not our fault, it happens more than we realized. After talking to him about a D&C and passing the baby naturally, he seemed more pro-natural whereas the doctor on Friday seemed more pro-D&C. Either way, Deric and I decided to go ahead with the surgery. We just felt it was best for us. So we went and got lab work done(I hate needles) and were on our way until 11 when we could check in to surgery. We called our Aflac insurance and our agent told us that they would probably pay $250 for the surgery-which is 1/2 our deductible for our other insurance. Which is a HUGE blessing right now!



I didn't want to just go home and wait, so I went to Naomi's shop to visit with her. Kyler and I hung out there for a little over an hour before Deric came and picked us up so we could go drop Kyler off at my cousin's house(he takes naps there). Mind you, this whole time I couldn't eat or drink anything so I haven't had ANYTHING since the night before-needless to say, I was hungry.



We checked in to surgery, waiting 30 minutes, got asked more questions, sent back to the waiting room. Waited until about 3, got taken back. Had to change into the robe, get an IV, wait some more.



Guy who knocks you out (haha can't spell the profession) came, spoke with us, explained everything. Waited some more. And waited and waited until finally Dr. Williams came and talked to us for like 2 minutes.



Wheeled into the room for surgery, got given the gas, put on oxygen mask-out in like 15 seconds. Wake up 40 minutes later with a massive sore throat (thats from the breathing tube) and really groggy. Go back to recovery-wait until I can keep some liquid down and go to the bathroom without throwing up.



I'm feeling pretty good now. Doctor Williams comes in, explains that it was a good thing we did the surgery-apparently I had alot more bleeding and debris in my uterus than normal so it would have been VERY painful and VERY long to pass everything on my own naturally. Makes us feel better about our decision.



Finally get out of the hospital and home around 4:30-take a shower, lie down, send Deric to get Kyler and FOOD! I was starving! It had been almost 24 hours since I had eaten anything! Call mom, reassure her everything is good. Begin the recovery process.

Today I am feeling pretty good-just worn out, tired, and sore. My throat kills and I have a fat lip (no idea why). But overall, I'm doing really well considering. I feel more blessed than anything right now. Blessed to have the spirit with me and Deric, blessed to know this is how it's supposed to be, blessed to know we made the right decision and blessed to know that I'm going to be okay. we should be able to try to get pregnant again in 3 months, which really isn't that long. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. The bleeding and cramping has decreased immensely and for that I am extremely grateful. I'm grateful to have family and friends who have offered their support and love. I wouldn't have made it through this without them.

I'm glad that I had the surgery, i know it will be tight on our finances, but I'm glad we did it. I am feeling more confident and strong about this whole situation all ready. I still wish I never had to go through this, it doesn't make things any easier to have lost a baby, but I know it's right. Everything will be okay.

1 comment:

Whitney and Doug said...

Leslie,

You are so strong and are full of faith! You really are an example to me. If I ever have a miscarriage I am going to talk to you. Keep being strong. Your little one loves you and is watching over you! Thanks for being me friend!

Whitney

Background